Things I Learned In 2017

This year marks 5 years running of my annual 'Things I Learned' post I write in reflection of the previous year's adventures and lessons. I'm big into dissecting and learning from everything that comes to life. Whether it is successes, failures, hard times or happy times, every moment of every day can be a lesson learned... and these are a few of the honorable mentions of 2017...



Buying A Home Is A Long And Painful Process >>>
One of the biggest purchases that Seth and I made this year was building and buying our very first home. My mother-in-law helped us find a beautiful location with model homes that we immediately felt at home when we walked through the front door. It was 6 long months of scrounging through paperwork, coming up with pay stubs, years of documents and of course lots of penny pinching and saving during the building months. It all paid off and the timing was perfect as we were able to celebrate our one year anniversary in our brand new home.

Learning To Lead >>>
I always thought of my self as the trusty sidekick rather than the main superhero in life scenarios, but this year an unexpected job promotion came my way. I was pretty surprised at the offer but even more honored to accept it. I've got some great friends and family members that are some of the greatest examples of leaders with very honest advice. A true leader must lead by example. A true leader is right there with the team grinding and helping. I hope that I can continue in the position and learn more about myself and exceed even my own expectations.

Coming To Terms With Anxiety and Depression >>>
The controversial T.V. show 13 Reasons Why jumpstarted the nation in a discussion about mental health issues. Months after it was released, people turned to social media to share stories, experiences and their own truths about the struggles of mental illness. There seems to be a need for more people to understand what it's really like to be dealing with internal mental issues. They are a real and many people struggle to understand what is going on with themselves. People voice a need to normalize and create more understanding for people dealing with the struggles of mental illnesses, and I hope to add to that fire as the months roll on.

You Must Make Yourself A Priority >>>
This summer also came with an unexpected diagnose of an auto immune disease called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. After having no idea what that entailed, I began my research with online articles, watching videos and thumbing through books at my library. I had realized that the lifestyle I was living was hurting my body. I need to focus more on my diet, staying active and keeping my stress levels down. Even though I'm not considered overweight, I am still unhealthy because of the junk I put in my body. Well, not anymore. This coming year will be a year of many changes...

Friendships And Relationships Are The Most Important Of All >>>
...but one thing that will never change are the incredible friends and family I have. Friendships of the past, present and future are so important. It's not about what you have or what you do, it's really all about who you encounter that will influence you're life, for better or worse, and provide you with memorable stories and thoughts. I love the people I have met and have yet to meet, I hope that this year I can continue to grow as a person and as a better friend to everyone.


Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018!



FAVORITE POSTS I'VE WRITTEN THIS YEAR

Comments

Popular Posts