9 Things That I Learned In 2015

This is my third time writing an end-of-the-year-round-up post I entitle "Things That I Learned." I have loved writing ever since I was very little. I would sketch up comic book characters and fill up notebooks with stories of their life and adventures. I love adventures, and I love writing about them.

I'm also a very sentimental person. I love memory boxes and photo books. I love the glossy finish of photographs in my hands, along with notes from friends and plane ticket stubs. This year I have A LOT of plane ticket stubs and it came from my biggest challenge I've ever given myself. This year, I had to put myself out there. I tried something out of my comfort zone. I became completely reliable on my self, surrounded by people who hardly spoke English and food I had to learn how to stomach. I was also expected to speak up, something I'm not used to doing. But I did it, and I am better for it. 



LIFE IS MEANT TO BE AN ADVENTURE >>> Why would we want to waste any sort of time being sad or lonely? Go somewhere, anywhere. It doesn't have to be on a far away island or ridiculously expensive. All you have to do is go. You can be alone, but not actually feel alone. My favorite things to do is to hike to my favorite look out, sit quietly on this concrete slab and soak up the twinkling lights of my town. That's where I feel free. Free from stress and free from the noise of people and problems. I've taken so many road trips by myself and it's truly one of my favorite things to do! Be in new places. Meet new people. Try new things you've never done before.

LIFE IS MEANT TO BE WITH PEOPLE WORTH WHILE>>> Life will give you your moments of where you are the only one that will pick yourself back up again. I learned fairly quickly who cared about me and who didn't. But not long after, I discovered the kind of people who made me feel something. I felt happy again, excited, beautiful and worthy. Worthy meaning whole. I didn't have to try to be anything but be myself. I am loved for who I am. Put yourself with people that you can argue with and discuss things with. Be with people who don't bring you down. Be with people who love you for who you are now and who you aspire to be."

YOU LEARN MORE OUTSIDE YOUR COMFORT ZONE>>>I was terrified to live in a new country. I was extremely overwhelmed the moment that plane landed in Manila. The first few weeks of my internship I encountered arguments with religions, ethics, politics, culture and anything else you could think of. By the end of it, I felt like my brain turned into scrambled eggs. The intense reality of all those rants, emotions and opinions, I learned to hold my ground and be confident in my abilities and beliefs...

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU SAY>>> Every young person will reach that point in their life, that they have to make a decision. They have to decide what it is that they want and what it is that they are willing to work for. Sometimes it starts with simply stating it. You have to believe in yourself. Be the kind of person that you want to be. I am proud of who I am. You can either be your best friend or your worst enemy. Always choose to love yourself, make yourself proud!

NEVER LET ANYONE'S ATTITUDE OR PERSPECTIVE EFFECT YOUR OWN>>> You have to remember that you are in complete control of your own emotions and reactions. No one can make you feel anything or do anything without your own consent. Negative people are everywhere, get away from them. Negativity will only make you feel heavy, worthless and hopeless. Don't ever let their ignorance effect you. They are sad people who have a lot of growing up left to do. The best thing that you can do, is to ignore them; and, occasionally put them in their place when necessary.

DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE >>> Got it? Good.

CHERISH YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS>>> Family members are the people in your life that will stick with that title forever. I've got the two sassiest, funniest and most protective sisters. My family is silly, light-hearted and a little weird, and that's exactly why I love them.

I DO LOVE TO TRAVEL>>> I'm lucky to have traveled as much as I have this year. I've been to multiple places that I've never been, including another country. It reminds you how small you are. Surrounded by people, getting stares from them, having cultures and customs that are different than your own. But you also learn to lose yourself in those customs. You recognize the beauty around you and in your own home country. You see the similarities and differences among all people and learn to love every part of it.

BUT, I ALSO LOVE HAVING A PLACE CALLED HOME>>> I couldn't describe that feeling. That perfect feeling of being home, in my own bed, with fresh sheets and clean hair. It's the feeling of safety and security. The best part about coming home was once again being in the arms of whom I love, so very much. I don't think anything could beat that feeling. That is home. 


Here's to making 2016 even better
Constantly improving, consistently doing more
for myself and those around me
Life is beautiful! 

Love Always,
Nick




This year I was able to go on an internship for 3 months to the beautiful Philippines! I learned more about life than I ever thought possible!




Want to read more of life lessons learned?
Read about the 8 things I learned in 2014
CLICK HERE TO READ!





MY FAVORITE POSTS FROM 2015

Comments

Popular Posts