My Traveling Diaries | My 25th Birthday in Zion National Park

Sunlight peaked through the open windows welcoming a cold breeze into my In-Law's camper. I opened my eyes and stretched my arms and my back. I had just woke up in Zion National Park where we planned a canyoneering trip through Pine Creek Canyon while simultaneously celebrating my 25th birthday! 


We started our mid-morning trek to the canyon. This canyon in my opinion is for intermediate/experienced climbers and hikers. Some argue that it's easy, but people were turning around at the very beginning that decided not to do it. It's a canyon that gets more intense as you go deeper inside. The easiest part is at the beginning so if it's something you don't feel comfortable doing, then you better turn around! We were sharing canyon the with multiple groups so we let the smaller groups go in front of us.







Rappelling is one of my favorite things because there is little effort that goes into it. Once you know the proper technique and rules of staying safe, then you channel your inner Tom Cruise and imagine yourself descending into the abyss while singing the Mission Impossible theme song. The water was freezing cold which was made bearable with wet suits, but that was nothing compared to the gorgeous beauty of the slot canyons! The layers of curving rock cascading high into the sky felt like something out of a desert dream.

Swimming through the canyon was wild. You can't touch the bottom and you have no idea how far down it goes. The only wild life I saw was a frog and a dead tarantula. When you're climbing, hiking or rappelling, you have a chance to forget about your problems and take a break. We all need to take moments to disconnect with everyday responsibilities and soak up the beauty of the world.











After hours of hiking and taking a dip down a natural water slide into a spring, we knew we had a long hike ahead of us back to the road. We climbed through parts of a boulder field to find the trail out the mouth of the canyon. We were so exhausted and tired but kept pushing along the path passing through aspen trees and mini cacti. The sun was beating down hard, heating up our skin. The moment that we saw the road, I took the biggest sigh of relief!




After stripping off our wet suits and putting on dry clothes, everyones bellies began to rumble. Since I was the birthday girl, I got to pick where we went to dinner. I love Italian food so I chose the Zion Pizza & Noodle Company in Springdale, Utah. We enjoyed amazing pasta and delicious pizza. Even the gluten free pizza was really good! After being on our feet for over 5 hours, it felt so good to sit down.




We drove back to the campsite to get cleaned up. We stayed inside the Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort. It is the perfect place for everyone coming to visit Zion. Great campsites, amenities and staff that are so kind and friendly. My Mother-In-Law baked a cake for me and I opened up a few presents. As the night went on, not even a sugar rush from cake could keep me from dozing off. It was a wonderful day with the family I love. Everyone should experience Zion at least once in their life! It's no wonder this place gets over 4 million visitors per year. It's a scenic, beautiful and an incredible place to be.


Thanks for Reading!
Have you ever been to Zion National Park?
Love, Nick




I've been keeping my eye on #61 from my bucket list for quite some time now and it only took me half a second to decide that this year I was crossing it off. For 3 weeks I saved up a budget, ordered some gear and plotted my course for exploring one of the most iconic National Parks in United States history.


I have no idea what it is about the UFC, but I can't get enough of it. I'm not sure if it just stems from the bonding time I had with my Dad over the entire Rocky series when I was younger, but wow there is something about those fights that are exhilarating! This was my first ever UFC event I've attended and I got the chance to meet one of my favorite fighters of all time!

Comments

Popular Posts