Things I Learned While Traveling Alone

One day, I just made the decision. This year I decided I would cross off a big bucket list item and tackle a road trip all by myself. I wanted to go somewhere new and beautiful, a place I had never been before. I wanted to go somewhere that I wasn't familiar with to force me out of my comfort zone. Was I nervous? Yeah of course. Was I terrified? Maybe a little. Was I worried about the car breaking down and being stranded in the middle of nowhere? Obviously. Was it all worth it?  You bet your sweet ass it was.


Sleeping in the car is a lot easier with 1 person and honestly it's a lot more comfortable (sorry Seth). To keep my budget small, plus Yellowstone being as busy as it is, I decided to create my own bed and breakfast in the back of my Jeep. I had layers of blankets, a sleeping bag and a yoga mat to make my bed. I kept a couple of coolers full of snacks and breakfast foods in the car, along with a case of my favorite Vitamin Waters. Getting ready in my rear view mirror and making friends with the early morning gas station attendant made for a pretty fun part of the trip.

You set the agenda and the pace for the entire trip. I woke up when I wanted, I grabbed food wherever I wanted and stopped to take as many annoying touristy pictures as I wanted. I didn't realize how much driving there was when you traveled to Yellowstone, but it made for a perfect chance to catch up on some podcasts, do a little soul searching and enjoy the quiet time I made for myself.

You don't stick out as much as you think...but that doesn't mean that people won't walk up to you! Remember that feeling you would get in high school that if you were caught eating lunch alone, you'd feel like a freak? I haven't felt that way in years, but every now and then I'll catch myself scanning the room for any onlookers. Inside the park that feeling immediately went away. When you're surrounded by hundreds of people that are stoked on being where you are too, it never really mattered! Many people would offer even to take my picture for me or with me!

It turns out being alone wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. My thoughts would often lead back to my family and friends back at home a lot, but I knew that this alone time I was taking would help me grow in a lot of different ways.

My confidence started building more and more and every day. I chose to have positive outlook on everything that came my way. I didn't care if it started raining all it did was make the sweet scent of nature stronger! I didn't really care if there was traffic jams, I got to see the coyote across the river that everyone was taking pictures of! I was honestly just so happy to be there.

Time goes by far slower.... so make every moment count! Anytime I was stuck in the car, I would listen to my favorite music, movies and podcasts with the windows rolled down. I would bring my notebook to restaurants with me and jot down daily thoughts or epiphanies that flooded my brain. Of course there were moments of anxiety, especially sleeping by myself in a car, but I managed everything pretty damn well on my own.



Thanks For Reading
Love, Nick




My Solo Road Trip to Yellowstone
Check out more of the trip itself by reading my Travel Diary entry from the Road trip! Wild life, geysers and all of the beauty that makes up the one of the most iconic National Parks in history.




Comments

Popular Posts