Man's Search for Meaning | Books I've Read


An old coworker of mine, whom I loved talking philosophies and current events with, was reading this book when she recommended it to me. She wasn't far into the book but told me I had to read it and that I would love it. I kept it on a list of books to find and read on my own and finally decided it was time to read it. The book is called Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl and she couldn't have been more right about it coming a book that I love.

This book is about Viktor Frankl, a psychologist who survived multiple concentration camps during World War 2. He watched his fellow prisoners and observed the choices they made in regards to life, death, rules and social order. He kept track of his findings on scrap paper. The book shares stories of real experiences, real people and the real horrific accounts of the holocaust. On multiple occasions this book made the back of my throat tense while tears leaked out of my eyes. Amidst the difficulty it felt to turn the page sometimes, he created a sense of peace every now and then which made me forget about a lot of my worries and anxieties while I was occupied with the book. The countless lessons taught in this book makes it a must read for everyone. It has easily become one of my favorite books I've ever read.

***WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!***

What was one event in the book that stayed with you? During Viktor's time of endless physical labor, he would imagine hearing and seeing his wife. By doing this, he felt like he could truly feel the comfort and love from his wife. He imagined what she would say to him and he created full conversations out of it. It gave him peace during the longest and coldest days during the harsh months of winter. He even remembered the day that was her birthday and in his heart wished her a happy birthday.

What is logotherapy? I would put it in words as a classification of psychology or philosophy of finding meaning in life or a situation to combat the struggles and challenges one's life may hold.

What are the 3 ways that man can find meaning in life?
1) By creating or work or doing a deed.
2) By experiencing something or encountering someone.
3) By the attitude we take toward unavoidable suffering.

In the end of the book, Viktor concludes post liberation from the camps what he decides to do with the rest of his life. He helps others discover their own meaning in their life. He finished his book and gave many lectures to crowds of people. It's an incredible book that opened my eyes and heart to listening what your mind and body are telling you and how you can approach life's hardships in a different way. I love this book and recommend anyone to read it!

Comments

Popular Posts