What did you want to grow up to be as a kid?

For the majority of my childhood, I wanted to grow up and be a detective. I remember the day my Mother bought me a magnifying glass. I took it all around the house and inspected every inch of settled dust along dressers and tables pretending to find clues behind picture frames and figurines. I bought a few super sleuth books which taught me how to dust for fingerprints and disguise myself. I also bought a few things like binoculars, walkie talkies and small security device. I would set it up at the corner of a doorway and if someone opened the door it would set off an alarm.  I created homemade business cards and passed them around to people in my neighborhood briefing them on my newly acquired detective skills. 

I have some of the best memories playing spies with friends growing up. We created our own training schedule, had our own secret spy names and created profiles on all our villains complete with personality traits and crimes committed. I grew up loving the Mary Kate & Ashley detective series, Kim Possible and Totally Spies. I saw those characters as brave, fearless, resourceful, smart and bold women and those were all traits I admired. I loved the idea of helping and protecting people. To me, that was the biggest pay off of it all. I wanted to be the hero! I still believe that I have that curious and childlike mind that wants to crack the code and solve the case. It's just less "karate chopping" in my pajamas around the kitchen and more so solving the curse of adult problems. 

Comments

Popular Posts