When was the last time you did something you were afraid of?


Last year I hiked a lot by myself in new areas that I wasn't familiar with. I wouldn't consider myself completely alone on every hike I did, there were usually groups of friends or families hiking together so I knew that if I did get hurt there would be someone there to reach out to for help. But, the earlier I started, the less likely of anyone being on the trail, so those early morning hikes were a little scary when I didn't see any other cars in the lot or signs of people.

There was one trail in particular that I was on where panic began to build in my mind. It was a cold September morning and there were warning signs of recent bear sightings posted every 10 to 15 feet. I started getting in my head about it, thinking there was no doubt in my mind I would encounter a bear that morning. I had to take breaks and breathers and feel into what was really happening. After regaining my courage, I decided to keep moving. I crept along further and deeper into the woods. I was so unsure at this point. At the moment I decided I was going to turn around, I ran into a sweet elderly couple who were getting their morning hike in as well. My heart settled down as I greeted them on the path. I talked to them for a few minutes and they were kind enough to point out the direction I was headed and encouraged me that I was close to where I wanted to go. They also mentioned that cell service was good where we were, so if anything did manage to happen I could make a call. I thanked them for their help, said goodbye and continued my trek.

I came across a section where I thought I heard a rustle in the trees. I stopped dead in my tracks and didn't move a muscle. My senses were heightened and I felt on edge. Could it be a bear? Was it just a deer? Or, maybe it's a squirrel. My mind was replaying scenarios of what the noise could be. I had to make a decision. Do I turn back or do I finish the trail? I closed my eyes, felt into it and decided to keep pushing up the mountain. I took a deep breath, dipped around the corner and broke out into a jog. I reached an opening in the trees and shrubs and there I saw the top of the trail, my finish line. I let out a loud sigh of relief and laughed my way to the top. I snapped a few photos of the gorgeous view below and sat down to take it all in. I felt fearless, powerful and accomplished. 

To put out a disclaimer, there have been trails that I have sensed a bad feeling on. If I ever feel like it's a bad move and I feel certain about it, then I choose to not go any farther and I turn around and head back to my car. Warning signs are meant to protect people and make hikers aware of what they need to look out for.  No one should ever take those signs lightly, they are meant to protect. I personally have had to figure out the difference between my own reasonable concern for danger and making things up in my head. It's something that I have to choose and make decisions on every day not just on a trail. It's given me a good chance to practice feeling things out and making choices for myself. If I don't want to do something, I don't do it. If it's something I feel safe and ready to do, then I do it. Everyone has the right to use their own judgement and make their own decisions. Besides, hiking with friends is more fun than hiking alone!

Comments

Popular Posts