What keeps you up at night?

Streaming Shows >>>
I commend the people that have mastered self control and know how to only watch one or two episodes of a new series so that their excitement can last longer... but I have not grasped that at all yet. If I find a series that I immediately get hooked on, it's the only thing on my mind throughout the entire day. I either try finishing the show over the weekend or pull an all nighter. I love connecting with stories or characters and forgetting about the world for a few hours.

Creative Outpours >>>
I always seem to do my best writing at night for some reason. It turns on slowly like kindling a fire and then waiting for it to burn bigger and brighter. If I ever catch myself in that moment, I turn on my favorite music, make myself a warm beverage and let my mind wander. My favorite moments are when my fingers can't type fast enough and I just let them fly across my keyboard.

Deep Conversations >>>
When I was in college, my roommate and I were big fans  of "3 o'clock table talks" which is what we started calling them. We'd come home from work, late classes or dates with dudes and if we got the conversation going we covered an endless amount of topics. Everything from dating, childhood memories, traveling, politics, philosophies, books, goals and dreams. We were ambitious, lively and hungry for experiences and knowledge. Those are some of my absolute favorite memories with her. Even currently, I love having late night conversations with friends at the kitchen table or on the bathroom floor. We go wherever weird place the night takes us.

Anxiety & Stress >>>
Sometimes late nights can take a negative turn, which is when my mind wanders a little too far off and begins to panic about things that are out of my control. I'm either worried about current politics, climate change, heated arguments, saying the wrong thing, not saying the right thing, interactions I wish I could've avoided or things I regret saying... It's a slippery slope that can take hours to get myself out of. I try a number of different methods like drinking tea, taking a bath or meditating but sometimes I just have to force myself to stop looking at the clock and squeeze my eyes shut until I manage to fall asleep.

Star Gazing >>>
One of the best remedies for a sleepless night is star gazing, especially when I'm feeling anxious. If I'm lucky that the clouds and sky decide to cooperate on the same night, I'll grab my headphones and take a blanket outside and watch the stars. The best way to experience it is high up into the mountains and being as far away from the city as possible that there's less light pollution. I like feeling small amongst the vast glittery sky because it makes my problems seem small and less significant. I always feel happier, more calm and content whenever I look up at the stars.

Comments

Popular Posts