Recall a mistake you made that helped you grow...


I was a kid when this happened, but I still remember the day so vividly and the shame that I felt after I got caught that it's hard to forget. I can't remember if it was 2nd grade or 3rd grade, but I struggled really hard with mathematics. Our teacher provided us with these half sheet quizzes that were timed a few times a week to keep our minds fresh on what we were learning. I noticed a pattern in the quizzes and realized we were being given the same quizzes with the same questions a few times in a row. I decided to keep one with the correct answers written in and use that on the next quiz. I was horrible in my execution of hiding my cheat sheet under my sweatshirt and was caught about half way through. I was completely devastated. I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway. I was mortified. 

After class my teacher asked me to stay afterwards so she could talk to me. She was stern and fair with me as she was filling out the dreadful pink slip that only "bad kids" got and I had to get signed by one of my parents. Tears filled my eyes and I wept as I left for home. I remember feeling so worried admitting to my parents about what happened and I knew I would disappoint them. Later that night, I confessed to what what happened. I knew it was wrong. There was no excuse for cheating on the quiz. I needed to practice harder at the math problems I was struggling with and take the extra time I needed to learn and understand. 

I took the signed pink slip into the classroom the next morning and handed it to my teacher. She gave me a warm smile and reminded me how brave I was to speak to my parents about it. She encouraged me to ask more questions in class so I can better understand the problems. After feeling as much guilt as I did, her words made me feel hopeful that I could figure out the problems I was encountering. I focused more efforts on understanding the problem and taking the time work it out and eventually I got better and better at math. I learned a really valuable lesson that day and I never cheated on any test after that.

Comments

Popular Posts