Throwback Travel Thursday | Utah National Parks

In August 1999, my family planned weekend trip to Southern Utah to explore a few national beauties. My parents took me and my two oldest sisters and packed up the car before we left on our summer road trip. At that point, all of us were professional road trippers. I remember my Dad hooking up our little T.V. to the car for our entertainment and each sister got to grab a few favorite VCRs for the drive. I would always pack books, notebooks, pens or colored pencils and usually my toy of choice at the time. 


On our trip we made a number of pit stops. One of them was Bryce Canyon, the park that is best known for it's unusual geology and unique landscapes. I remember reaching this overlook that put on display the vibrant orange colors. I remember thinking how beautiful it was. I couldn't get over the fact that I felt like we were on top of the world out here, but I knew I had to make sure to be safe around the wooden barrier. 

We also spent a day with our cousins hiking to Calf Creek Falls.  It's about a 5 miles hike there and back which couldn't have been that difficult right? I remember hiking and walking and feeling so tired without really understanding why were doing this? My questions were quickly answered when the waterfall came into view. I was captivated at the rushing water plummeting down into the small pool below, generating a soft mist around the border. I remember playing with cousins in the water and thinking how cool it would be to live there. 

One day I'll have to go back to this place and recreate this memory. My parents always made sure to take good care of us and gave us new opportunities to explore and discover. It was days like that that made my childhood rad, and I am so grateful to my parents for giving us everything that did.








Thanks for Reading
Happy Throwback Thursday!
Love, Nick

Comments

Popular Posts