I Tried A Pole Dancing Class

Is it true that pole dancing is an actual workout that takes a lot of strength, flexibility and endurance? Have you ever wanted to know how to dance on a pole? The idea has always intrigued me and when a few girlfriends decided to book a Sunday class, I was all for it! We went to the ONYX Pole and Aerial Fitness Studio, a local hot spot that offers multiple pole, hula hoop and silk classes!

Photo Source | ONYX Studio Facebook
Our instructor Emily was full of energy, sass and excitement. We started things out with a brisk workout moving our heads, hips, arms and legs. We were moving our bodies and getting warmed up to familiar music. After stretching our legs and shaking things out, we were ready to learn a few basic moves. We learned specific grabs and positions and started piecing together combinations. 

There were about 12 other girls in the class of all shapes and sizes on completely different skill levels. The group was comprised of returning fans and curious beginners. Before getting to the studio, I started to get a little nervous. I had no idea what to expect! I didn't want to make a fool out of myself, but the truth is I never once felt insecure or embarrassed about what I was doing. In fact, our instructor was usually the one keeping everyone laughing and enjoying their workout! I was trying, slipping, sliding and re positioning a lot, but I had fun doing it! Emily would make sure to answer all the questions we had and gave visual pointers and showed the moves play by play.

I had a lot of fun spending time with friends and trying something new to get my heart rate up, but I had no idea how sore I would be the next day! It was like my body had ran a few miles the day before. I managed to find a couple bumps and bruises, but hey, that's how serious it gets on the pole! Engaging your core through every move while adding your own personal flow to each move takes a lot of strength and control. It was great to meet new people and take a moment for myself. Not only did I get a great workout, but I got to enjoy myself, feel myself and take an afternoon to try something new!


Have you ever tried pole dancing? What did you think?
Thanks for Reading!
Love, Nick

Comments

Popular Posts