The Mini Moab Trip and a Marriage Proposal

Moab.
It's one of the most beautiful places to visit in Utah. It's a playground for adults. Beautiful red rocks for climbing, jeeping, hiking and riding on. The air is fresh and clean while everyone you meet greets you with a smile and an open heart. This was the second annual "Mini Moab" trip that I had been on, and little did I know that this trip had a something extra planned...


As the rest of the crew was still on the road, we started out Friday afternoon with climbing on Wall Street. This long stretch over road is covered with climbing routes, and today it was lined with climbers of all ages. Young beginners and older experts. I finally had a chance to use my new gear for my first climb in Moab! We set routes, chalked up and watched each other smear the rock. I greeted old friends with bear hugs and chit chat. We snacked on chips and salsa and caught up on life's adventures. As the sky grew darker, we packed up our bags and headed back to camp. 






It's always feels like the happiest time of my life when I'm with this special group of people. Swapping stories around a campfire, cracking jokes and laughing with each other; It's the thing I look forward to the most when I'm with them. I was so happy to be in Moab, and was ready for a full day tomorrow for more exploring. 

On Saturday morning, we scarfed down breakfast and packed up the car. We were planning on doing a little more climbing and then repelling Teardrop Canyon in the afternoon. Teardrop Canyon was the same canyon we did last year. The same canyon I lost my footing on... Not my most shining moment in life, but I felt ready to redeem myself.


Although this is one of the easier canyons to repel, it has to be one of the most beautiful. I love the view up here. Everything about it is so beautiful! We hiked up the side of the mountain, carrying climbing gear and camera equipment (at this point I still didn't get it). Our group of 20 or so worked to set up the ropes and helped everyone down the line. 





I figured the only reason that they were making me go last, was because I had done this before. There were people in our group that had never repelled and were being taught by the others. The sun shone through the clouds every few minutes, but gusts of cold wind made me shiver from the cold We were snapping pictures, taking fun videos and enjoying the canyon together. The time had finally come for the 130 foot repel and everyone was waiting at the bottom. I clipped my ATC in, kept a tight grip and did everything I could to freak myself out by looking down.

Free hanging above the ground has turned into a piece of cake for me. I knew what I was doing and I looked over my shoulder to see the ground far above me and the group clustered together. The funny thing was, they were all over to one side, almost huddled together. I looked down the rope and saw Seth, smiling up at me and keeping the rope steady. With only 10 feet of air left between me and Seth, I noticed flowers...and candles... laid perfectly aligned creating a pathway. I realized once Seth began helping me unclip what was about to happen.

He's going to ask me to marry him.

He took my hand in his, saying sweet things to me as we walked down our path of flowers. He had a bouquet of colorful daises and handed them to me. I couldn't stop smiling. He reached behind him and opened an infamously shaped small black box with a gorgeous diamond ring in it. I was so surprised and shocked at what was going on, but I have known my answer for weeks now. I said yes and immediately kissed him. As our friends began to cheer, I buried my face into his shoulder. I held him as long as I could, soaking up every feeling of happiness rushing through me.
 I'm going to marry my best friend.


We hugged all our friends with open arms and tear stained faces. Everyone knew what was going on and I had no clue that was the plan the entire time. There were plenty of signs that I could've picked up on, but clearly Seth did a pretty good job at surprising me!

Once we were out of the park, I was ready for dinner and it was time to say hello to my new future in-laws. We made calls from the car to our family members and shared our exciting news. I couldn't stop smiling and glancing down at my newly decorated left hand. We went to the Moab Brewery for a dinner with family, and chatted about potential dates and wedding ideas.

Back at the camp site was more congratulating and more celebrating. It wasn't long until I felt more than ready to go crawl into bed. After a physically and emotionally exhausting day, it was time to cuddle up close and slowly dose off.


Sunday was the last day of the trip, and we decided to hike Corona Arch. A simple and fun hike that is practically mandatory for all Moab newbies. You can't beat gorgeous blue sky and the beautiful structured rock. We hiked our way to the arch and even roped up a line to hike to the top. The view was simply incredible.





I love my friends
I love my new family members
and I especially love you, Seth.

Thanks for Reading,
Love Nick

Comments

Popular Posts